Monday 1 April 2019

Release the Spyce Episode Eleven: Operation Gekkako

Operation Gekkako


First Aired: December 16th, 2018

Synopsis: Fu, Momo, and Goe have all been captured by Moryo after the events of last episode, and are set to be tortured. Mei explains to them how she ended up siding with Moryo when she found a mobile of theirs, which let her contact them and slowly gain their trust. Mei then leaves so that the girls can be tortured, but one of Goe's restraints is fortunately weakened, allowing her to free first herself and then the others, allowing them all to escape the torturer. Before leaving, the torturer reveals that Moryo's plan is to release a large quantity of the brainwashing gas over the city. The group go to their base. Although it was blown up, the basement is still intact, and they make their way there and retrieve some gadgets.

The group work out that the gas will be released at 6 PM the next day. They hide their families away before heading off to Moryo's chemical factory to stop the device which will release the gas. On the way there, Hanzomon appears, revealing that she was able to fake her death last episode, and will have to be mission control for now. At the factory Goe fights Theresia and Fu fights Mei. Goe defeats Theresia, who has her wrist slit by Tendo as punishment for thoughts of defecting. Mei ends up escaping from Fu. The girls then discover that the gas dispersal device is in another location, right as it begins to activate.

Physics Do Not Work That Way:
  • At one point in the fight with Theresia, Goe leaps backwards into the air...all good so far. Then she somehow propels herself forwards in an attack. Not so good.
Miscellaneous Notes:
  • We now know how Mei ended up joining Moryo, but we still don't have a solid reason for why she did. As I mentioned last episode, her reasoning given fit her character but was all a bit vague. I'm not sure whether they're saving it all up for a big reveal, or whether they honestly couldn't think of a good justification for it. I'm hoping for the former.
  • The start of this episode takes place on August 17th. I mentioned this last time, but I'm going to say it again: hey! That's the day after my birthday!
  • When Theresia's wrists are cut, we see quite a lot of blood. I think it might be the most violent thing in the show so far, as well as arguably the darkest.
Review: We've still got one episode to go, but there are still a few mysteries that have yet to be answered. As mentioned above, there's the question of why Mei defected (my guess, although I doubt it'll be the case, is that they'll end up doing a second season and this will be one of the hooks for it), there's the question of why Moryo are still experimenting with the brainwashing gas, and, now that Hanzomon is back, there's the question of whether Aoba is dead. As much as I'm loving these characters, I kind of hope that she is; it'd be a good way to raise the stakes and she hasn't really been that front-and-center throughout this show, barring episode six.

Of course, on top of all of the mysteries being raised, we've also got some good character interactions - Momo taking the lessons Hanzomon taught her to heart now that she really is dead (until she isn't), Fu asking why Momo and Goe are taking Mei's betrayal so lightly, and Theresia's conflicted feelings about which group she wants to be in. It's all good stuff. On a side note, I also appreciated a moment of levity midway through the episode where Momo takes out some Moryo agents sent to her house, but has to actual casual around her mum without her realising what happened. Honestly, another few moments like that would have been appreciated.

Overall, this episode is pretty much the same as the rest of the series - in a good way. I've got a feeling that the reason Moryo want brainwashing gas is, "Because we're evil," and as welcome as Hanzomon's return is, it does take some of the sting out of last episode. But while this show isn't perfect, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it, and that it's not fun. Even if next episode drops the quality ball a bit, I'm still happy with this show, and I've had a good time with it.

Apologies to anyone who had the traitor in the group spoiled by this April Fool's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The End

The End When I first started this blog , I gave a list of Spider-Man shows that I was planning to watch, and said that I wanted to work my w...