Wednesday 24 July 2019

Spider-Man (1967) Episode Fifty-Two: Trip to Tomorrow

Trip to Tomorrow

First Aired: June 14th, 1970

Synopsis: While swinging around the city, Spider-Man ends up falling through the rusted roof of a train carriage where he encounters a young boy named Tom, who has run away from home wanting to be a hero. When Tom asks Spider-Man about being a hero, Spider-Man tells him about the time he fought Volton, the time he discovered Mysterio was behind the illusion of the Flying Dutchman, and the time he fought Kotep. Once he has finished, Tom leaves the train, deciding that being a hero is too much for him.

Review: After multiple episodes of reusing animation by rewriting dialogue and tweaking the story slightly, the series finally embraces the traditional way to do so by doing a clip show. Unsurprisingly, it's safe to say that we end this - arguably one of the most iconic Spider-Man cartoons - on something of a whimper rather than a bang. But then again, it's been pretty downhill since we finished the first season, hasn't it?

The stories Spider-Man chooses to tell Tom unfortunately aren't that interesting. The Volton one thankfully barely takes time at all, and then we get a fun Mysterio one (man, I forgot how much better the quality of the first season was), before ending with Kotep. I'm not particularly sure why these three were chosen - there's a vague attempt at creating a theme through Spider-Man telling Tom that he had to take risks each time, but it's a half-hearted attempt at best. If I'd been writing the episode, I would have chosen to stick with episodes from the first season - it's easily consistently the strongest season, it's got far stronger animation, and it could be a good look back to fans to remind them of how far we've come. Ah well.

Next time: I'll be posting a retrospective on the entirety of this series, now that we're through it. I hope you'll join me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The End

The End When I first started this blog , I gave a list of Spider-Man shows that I was planning to watch, and said that I wanted to work my w...