Sunday 1 May 2022

Marvel's Spider-Man: Before Watching

What can I say about Marvel's Spider-Man that hasn't been said already? Quite a lot, actually; I don't think that people have really talked about this show that much. At least, that's the general feel I get - people seem aware that it exists, but don't really seem to have any opinions on it. Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

I'm mostly going into this one blind, although I've picked up some stuff about the show here and there. I believe that Dan Slott is a writer, or a consultant, or involved in the show in some way, which I'm fine with. I've seen a lot of hatred for his run online and while I don't think that it's the best run of Spider-Man, for the most part it's pretty good and he had some really neat ideas. I sure as hell enjoyed it far, far more than Nick Spencer's run. I also met Slott in person once and he was pretty chill, so there's that, too.

I know that Max Modell and Horizon Labs show up, presumably because of the aforementioned Dan Slott. Again, I'm fine with this - if we're moving Peter away from photography, having him work at an actual science company is a good idea (although I prefer him being a science teacher, personally). Max Modell was a pretty enjoyable character in the comics, and while I doubt that they'll do or say anything about him being gay in the show, I'm going to assume that he is unless we get anything contradicting it.

Other than that, I'm fairly sure that Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales are regularly appearing characters in the show, and that's something I'm looking forwards to. I'm big on the idea of Spider-Man as a bit of a loner, and don't really need the whole extended spider-family around, with Araña and Spider-Woman and Madame Web and so on all suddenly appearing in Peter's life, but I do really like the mentor relationship Peter has with Miles, and Spider-Gwen's cool. (Actually, I lie; Araña is pretty cool too). Presumably this version of Spider-Gwen will just be this universe's version of Gwen Stacy getting spider powers somehow, without the whole "Whoah, you're the alternate version of my ex-girlfriend who I couldn't save!" thing going on, and that should work well, I think.

Finally, I'm also fairly sure that the Jackal is one of the main villains here. Jackal's a bit hit and miss for me - he's pretty good in the original Clone Saga, by Gerry Conway; these days he's got a few too many clones and magic genetic abilities - but he hasn't really appeared in any Spider-Man shows before, so at least we're not rehashing the same old story we've seen before.

Overall, I think I'm fairly positive about the show - it's going to be hard to be worse than Ultimate Spider-Man, and from what I've seen of the art style it looks quite nice. Let's hope that this is a good one.

Wait, what do you mean this show also doesn't have a full opening? What do you have against full openings, Marvel shows of the 2010s? You know, maybe if you did a full opening and let it go for a minute or so, the writing could be a bit snappier since you'd have slightly less space to fill. Yeah, producers. Ever think of that?

Join me next time as I start my journey into the relatively recent Spider-Man series, summing up the origin shorts that preceded the series. I'll be looking forwards to hearing your thoughts as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The End

The End When I first started this blog , I gave a list of Spider-Man shows that I was planning to watch, and said that I wanted to work my w...